Labels

Tuesday 18 January 2011

Theme of the month: creative flow

I watched The Flower of my secret (1995, Almodovar) last night. A precursor to Todo Sobre mi Madre, it is an expressive melodrama which fuses many of Almodovar's classic themes of striking colour, scenario, role of women/men and witty dialogue. What I find fascinating about this particular film is that it stands on a film precipice; whereas his earlier films were overdone with outrageous drama verging on the strange, this one sets the tone for Almodovar's future as mature auteur. Leo Macias ( Marisa Paredes) is a romantic novelist who writes saccharine tales standing in stark contrast to her own failing marriage and general despair. I love her character and how pathetic her life becomes, I love the underlying ridicule of her situation and I love that Almodovar chose to go this way with his incredible material....

No comments:

Post a Comment