Labels

Sunday 20 September 2015

touch down

Finally, after many false hopes and tail-chasing, I managed to get hold of an adaptor to accompany my best traveling friend, the MAC and can at long last share some impressions. I arrived a few days ago; tired, excited and decidedly overwhelmed by the enormity of such a trip. As the plane circled over the misty morning view of Buenos Aires,  I was able to acknowledge the sheer size and beauty of the view beneath me and something stirred. I wanted to know more...
My studio is a gorgeous mix of cosy and cool and I love that it is tucked away in residential Recoleta, where portenos roam freely alongside their urban puppies and elegant friends. I am in the thick of the middle classes on Austria street with some quaint little cafes on French street and phenomenal embassies and grandiose buildings a block away.  A far cry from trendy Palermo but quieter than the dizzying heights of downtown. The perfect mix. And although adapting to the changes of season, time, food and people has been hard (I caught a horrible cold which prevented the letter M from ever uttering my congested self), I have seen some truly wonderful parts of this city. Highlights include the Malba ( contemporary art Argentine style) where an installation of disappearing lights had me confused but intrigued, Palermo Viejo which should perhaps join the ranks of cultural heritage sights and is by far my preferred location to hang out and practice the almost long lost yoga I so adored back home (!) and of course San Telmo on a Sunday. I have been spoiled by scenes I could previously only imagine in films and have been encouraged by locals to take up the romantic dance of tango as soon as I find a milonga willing to take such a debutante on. Exciting times... but of course, I miss you all and homesickness really does happen. It is not just the jetlag or too much Yerba Mate :)

No comments:

Post a Comment